Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kamalinee’s Gamyam in every language

Kamalinee Mukherjee, who made a mark with Anand, followed it up with Godavari. A cameo in Sekhar Kammula's Happy Days, a film in Tamil with Kamal Haasan and a few more mainstream Telugu projects including the much-talked about film Gamyam, only cemented her status in the industry.

Are you happy that Gamyam has received critical acclaim and commercial success?

I was pretty sure that Gamyam would do well. I am so glad the audience reacted the way they did.

What made you sign Gamyam?

The first thing was the story, which was so well woven that everything just fitted into each other. I had a three-and-a-half hour narration by Krish. I felt the story had a lot of soul. It was trying to talk about universal truths with a lot of simplicity. That's what got to me.

Because of the philosophical touch in it?

I wouldn't call it that. I would rather say it had a lot of truth and honesty.

Why do you think Gamyam clicked?

I think it clicked because everybody could identify with all the emotions that were portrayed. Because the journey that it talks about is the journey all of us take. Also, the way the characters were built -- there was a bit of every one in them.

Gamyam, as you said, made a splash. Do you think the industry requires more of such films?

I think the industry requires all kinds of films. Gamyam is doing what it is doing today because the other films are also there. It is nice that films like Gamyam are coming up. There is a little bit of realism that has crept into cinema which is good. Now you just don't look at every thing as a larger-than-life picture; you identify with it.

You seem to choose strong independent women roles, or you probably get such roles -- be it in Anand, Godavari or Gamyam. In Telugu cinema today, women are mostly there for the glamour quotient...

I think that's changing right now. Since I have been here I have seen a lot of films come out with healthy content. I wouldn't say they really focus on women. Recently there have been films where women are the central protagonists. Films such as Mantra and Anasuya have done very well and I am happy that such films come to me because I like portraying women like that. I feel Indian women today are like that. They're independent and free thinkers.

You have worked with new directors like Sekhar Kammula and Krish. What makes you take up their projects?

I love working with them. As they are new, we end up learning together, which is fun. They have a lot more enthusiasm and passion, and I like their energy. They come up with real stories. There have been times when I may not always identify with the characters or the film. Sometimes I do a film because I like the story or the character. And there are times when I like both. You get lucky sometimes.

You are also acting in the Tamil version of Gamyam

It's going to be crazy. I am getting to do Gamyam in every language. After August I am supposed to be doing a Bengali film titled Aarop after I wrap up the Tamil version of Gamyam.

Who is directing it?

A young girl by the name of Protima. She is now working with Rakeysh Mehra. This is her first film in Bengali and she has got a crazy script, which I am looking forward to. I have to start shooting for the film in September. I have no idea about the others in the cast.

No comments:

Disclaimer

Content, photos and Links are used from the Internet & its Resources. http://www.telugumovieslatest.blogspot.com/ only points to various news links on the internet that already exist.Author wont take responsible for any controversis over news articles,gossips as articles are directly lifted from other sites. If you wish to remove an article please contact author by EMAIL @ ravivarma4all@gmail.com